Sports Medicine Program
Muir Orthopaedic Specialists provides a sports medicine program for professional, college, high school, club level and weekend warrior athletes to enhance their athletic and orthopedic care through streamlined communication with coaches, athletic trainers and the patients themselves.
A Comprehensive Approach to Sports Medicine
Athletes’ medical needs and concerns often go beyond injury treatments. Muir Orthopaedic Specialists offers a comprehensive sports medicine program to meet these needs providing our patients with continuity of care. Our sports treatment services include:
- Musculoskeletal and orthopedic injury treatment and rehabilitation
- Advanced concussion management and neuropsychiatric testing
- Pre-participation physical exams
- Exercise fitness testing and exercise prescription
- Diagnosis and management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal issues
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
- Exercise prescriptions for patients who are pregnant or have chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes or cardiac disease
- Addressing medical concerns related to sports participation, including eating disorders, exercise-induced asthma, and skin conditions.
Immediate Attention for Sports Injuries
Sports injuries can happen as a result of accidents, overuse or even inadequate athletic gear or equipment. Common sports injuries treated by our physicians include:
- Sprains, strains and other soft tissue injuries
- Knee injuries
- Repetitive stress injuries
Our injury treatment program allows trainers to call our sports medicine direct line for an immediate phone consultation with a sports medicine physician and same day appointments for injured athletes. We also offer in-office diagnostic imaging with X-rays and MRIs, physical therapy and rehabilitation, and custom bracing to provide a complete injury treatment program.
Additionally, our sports physicians provide training, education and professional care services to local teams through our Sports Partnership Program and on-site medical coverage for sporting events at our partner schools.
Meet Our Sports Medicine Specialists
Our physicians are fellowship trained in sports medicine and are often athletes themselves.
Additionally, Dr. Preston serves as a Titleist Performance Institute professional golf performance physician, Dr. Michlitsch is board certified on both Orthopedic Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine, and Dr. Pecci is the founder and former director of sports medicine fellowship at Boston Medical Center University and the former director of sports medicine at Boston University.
Our doctors serve patients throughout the East Bay area including Walnut Creek, Brentwood, Concord and San Ramon.